The creation and continuance of any loud, disturbing noises is hereby prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to cause, make or contribute to creating any loud or disturbing noise of such character, intensity, or duration as to be detrimental to the life or health of any citizen. The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud, disturbing noises in violation of this section, but such enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive:
(1) Blowing horns. The sounding or blowing of any horn or signal device on any automobile, motorcycle, motorbus or other vehicle, except as a danger signal if another vehicle is approaching apparently out of control, or if in motion only as a danger signal; the creation by means of any signal device of any loud or harsh noise; and the sounding of such device for any unnecessary period of time.
(2) Radios, phonographs, television, etc. The playing of any radio, phonograph, piccolo, television or any musical instrument in any manner or with such volume as to disturb any person, or the playing of the instruments in any manner as to disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of any person in any dwelling, hotel or other residence.
(3) Pets. The keeping of any animal or bird which by causing frequent or long continued noise shall disturb the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.
(4) Vehicle noises. The use of any automobile, motorcycle or vehicle so out of repair, so loaded, or used or repaired in such manner, as to create loud or unnecessary noises, particularly grating, grinding, rattling, riveting or other disturbing noises.
(5) Blowing whistles. The blowing of any steam whistle attached to any stationary boiler, except to give notice of the time to begin or stop work or as a warning of danger.
(6) Exhaust discharge. To discharge into the open air the exhaust from any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine, motorboat engine or motor vehicle except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent loud or explosive noises therefrom.
(7) Loudspeakers or amplifiers on vehicles. The use of any mechanical loudspeakers or amplifiers on trucks, airplanes or other vehicles for advertising or other purposes.
(Code 1983, § 9-2-8)