The Patrol Division is the backbone of the Police Department. They are the uniformed Officers who provide the first line of defense for the public’s safety. The Patrol Division currently consists of 26 officers, under the command of a Lieutenant Watch Commander. The Officers are divided into four Patrol Squads consisting of a Sergeant and Patrol Officers. The squads are assigned to work twelve hour tours.
The Patrol Division is charged with the enforcement of all Criminal Laws, Motor Vehicle Laws and City Ordinances. To this end, the Patrol Division’s Officers conduct speeding enforcement with radar, investigate motor vehicle accidents, detect impaired drivers, identify narcotic law violations, handle domestic violence calls, conduct random patrol in marked patrol cars, patrol various areas of the City on foot and bicycle, and participate in our Community Policing programs. When you call for help, these Officers are the people that come to your aid.
Primary Functions Include
- To represent a positive and professional image of the city and of the Police Department to all persons.
- To promote trust, cooperation and respect for the Police Department within the community.
- To prevent violations of laws and ordinances.
- To arrest criminal offenders.
- To suppress civil disturbances.
- To conduct preliminary investigations at accidents and crime scenes.
- To give aid and information to all persons as required.